Anyway, I was pretty adamant that I didn't want to start solid food until he was 6 months old, especially considering the weight issues/supply issues. I was so afraid it would cause him to nurse less, and then everything I've worked for would fall apart. He, however, had other plans.
Eating and drinking has been getting harder and harder to do with Peter even in the room, because he reaches for food and drinks, cries, etc. I finally agreed with Sean that maybe we should try offering him some banana. I didn't want to use canned food though, so we just cut him a piece. The following video shows how it went:
What you don't see is that right after I stopped recording, he leaned down, mouthed at it, and then set up. Half the piece was gone! The little stinker ate the whole piece on the tray, then cried for more. He got a couple more bites, and has gotten to share a little more with Daddy on another night.
He's also had his first sip of water, because he grabbed my cup last night and stuck his mouth on it. Once I tipped it, he lapped at it. He didn't really get enough to count, but at least he's learning how to drink from a cup.
Oh, and in breastfeeding news, he's gone from getting 6-8oz of formula a day to 4oz. I'm now pumping around 12oz a day, and he takes 16oz at daycare (some days just 14oz). He has also given up his nighttime supplemental bottle. He'll play with it, but doesn't really drink any. We've quit offering it, with the pediatrician's blessing. Hopefully I'll continue to see an increase in pumping, and we'll be totally off the stuff soon! He's definitely taking plenty from me now; I keep accidentally spraying him in the face, and he can eat for 10 minutes/side and be good to go for several hours now!
Oh, and here's another video taken the same day as the banana one, in which he discusses his day with me:

0 comments:
Post a Comment