Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Guess what I made today?

BAGELS!

Well, I actually started them yesterday, because they have to retard in the refrigerator overnight. I followed a recipe I found on www.SmittenKitchen.com. Since I don't like raisins (and don't have any!) I left them out and just used cinnamon. These are definitely something I want to keep in my arsenal. They do take some time, but they're good.

I do have to say that they aren't quite the same texture as the ones you can buy in a bagel shop. They're a little more chewy. From the recipe though, I learned that these are textured more like the original bagels. And regardless, they're good. I had one for lunch plain. The only thing I would do differently is to add a bit more cinnamon. But that's not a bagel thing; I add extra to everything I use it in!

Anyway, here are some pictures.



Just out of the fridge, right before I boil them. There's a total of 14.

Boiling. Each one boils for a minute on each side.

Here they are after boiling. It made them swell a little and get nice and soggy!


And finally, the finished product! They're nice and golden brown!


2 comments:

Red Hen said...

Pretty!! You did good, girl!

I wanna try that. Wanna send me the recipe?

Liz said...

I got the recipe from here. I think next time I make them, I'll do mini ones.

http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/05/cinnamon-raisin-bagels/