Last night (well, more like this morning), Sean, me, Jenny, Cameron, Travis, and Katie Rath went out to Bryson City to the Road to Nowhere. It's an old road that was started, and then funding ran out, so building it was halted. The beginning of the part that can be walked is a tunnel. We all thought it would be fun to go through it at midnight with no flashlights. While it was drizzling.
The whole idea came about because we were talking about places that were creepy at supper before BSU formal. So we all just decide to go. Of course, we changed first; tunnels+rain+heels=not fun.
Ok, so that's the set-up. We get there, and we all head in. Sean and I linked up arms and went last. Everyone else is talking about how creepy it is, and stuff to that effect. I on the other hand have totally different thoughts.
This tunnel is pitch black. Faintly in the distance one can make out the outline of the end, but barely. Once you get about halfway through, you can no longer see any light from the entrance, and you have no sense of direction. All you can feel is changes in temperature, and the asphalt (or dirt and leaves) under your feet.
As I was walking, trying so hard to remain focused on the light at the end of the tunnel, I had to totally different thoughts. First, I thought about the fact that I was experiencing (temporarily) blindness. I couldn't imagine having sight, and then losing it. To be essentially trapped in a sea of darkness. To know that there were things around you, and not knowing what it was. To be touching a person, but not to even be able to see his/her face. To try so hard to see light, and to not know if it was really there, or if you were just imagining it. People used to ask if I would rather lose my sight or my hearing. I would always say sight, because I love music. But after that experience, I would prefer not to lose either. If God took one away from me, it would be alright, and I would learn to live with it, but I could never choose to lose either one.
My second thought revolved around Jesus after his crucifixion. As I fixed my gaze on the light ahead of me, but would turn around and see nothing but a dark abyss, I began to think about what Jesus experienced during his three days in Hell. While I know NOTHING is that terrible, I could only imagine what it felt like to be leaving it. To be able to travel to the light finally, to leave the terrible darkness behind. But I also think about how he felt, knowing that so many people would never be able to travel into that light that was God, because they never knew Him, or would never know Him. And it just made me so thankful that my life will never be in that total darkness, that I'll be in the light for all of eternity. But I also need to be aware of those that are not His followers. Do I want them to dwell forever in the darkness? Of course not. Therefore, I have to go out and tell them about Him.
Sunday, March 16, 2008
Road to Nowhere
Posted by Liz at 6:17 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment