Tuesday, March 11, 2008

It's my life!

Let me just start with saying, I can get a job without getting a masters; the field I'm going into doesn't even require a 4-year degree. Mom's cousin Sherry decided to tell me this weekend that I HAD to get my masters right after I finished here, because I would never go back. I will go back. I've got a plan for how I'm going to do this. And that's irrelevant. I'm going to do things the way I need to do them that will be best for me. Right now, it's not going back to school. Just because she did it that way does not mean that I need to. Anyway, after I got tired of her and walked off, she started telling Mom how I was making a mistake and needed to go back. It's MY life. I'm doing it MY way.

Well, since she wasn't able to change my mind about that, she decided to start giving me wedding advice. I have a pretty good idea about what I want at this point, we just haven't started finalizing the details yet. I don't mind people talking about it; I want to talk about it. I don't like when they tell me the ideas I have are going to make it like a "sideshow." That's inappropriate. And I really don't like when they start telling me how much money I'm going to spend on flowers and such. I don't care that they had to spend over $500; I don't plan on it. And I understand that it can add up quickly, but if people would actually listen when I say I want it to be really simple and not full of frill and stuff, they might actually get it. I don't think a wedding should be about the decorations, or the dresses, or the food. It's about the fact that Sean and I are making a commitment to spend forever together. We want people there to celebrate with us, not to come look at fancy decorations that aren't representative of our personalities.

Now, if everyone can just understand that this day is going to be about US, and that the rest of my life will be done in the way that is best for US, then we'll all be good. Otherwise, I'm just going to snap one day and start telling people that I really just want them to butt out.

(And as a disclaimer, I welcome ideas. Just don't shoot down mine, or make it sound like yours is the only way to do it. I promise, if it's something I like, I'll consider it. But tulle and flautists? Those aren't my things. Neither are trumpets and french horns. Simple...I want to keep it simple!)

0 comments: