Anyway, today we sang a song which I think says a lot. It's called "What have we done?" and the lyrics follow:
Oh my soul, oh my Jesus
Judas sold you for thirty, I'd have done it for less
Oh my soul, oh my Savior
Peter denied you three times, I have denied you more
As the nails went in, I was standing right there
As you breathed your last, I shook my head and I cried
Oh my God, what have we done, we have destroyed your Son
Oh my God, what have we done, we have destroyed your Son
Oh my soul, oh my Jesus
Judas sold you for thirty, I'd have done it for less
Oh my soul, oh my Savior
Peter denied you three times, I have denied you more
And the blood ran down, I was standing right there
And the water pored, I shook my head and I cried
Oh my God, what have we done, we have destroyed your Son
Oh my God, what have we done, we have destroyed your Son
Oh my God, what have we done, we have destroyed your Son
Oh my God, what have we done, we have destroyed your Son
As the nails went in, I was standing right there
As you breathed your last, I shook my head and I cried
Oh my God, what have we done, we have destroyed your Son
Oh my God, what have we done, we have destroyed your Son
Oh my God, what have we done, we have destroyed your Son
Oh my God, what have we done, we have destroyed your Son
Oh my God, what have we done, we have destroyed your Son
Oh my God, what have we done, we have destroyed your Son
By the end, I found myself changing the words. Oh my God, What have I done? I have destroyed Your Son. I'm just as guilty of not standing up as the people who were there, as guilty as Judas and Peter. That's a hard thought to face. Just because we live in a different time, we aren't any less accountable. How often do things happen that give us a chance to stand up for what we believe in? How often do we blatantly choose to ignore our faith in the name of fun? How often do we sin and choose to keep sinning? Isn't that just slapping God in the face?
It's hard, because we live in a world where it's easy to deny, harder to proclaim. But yet, we (I) can't deny with our (my) actions and proclaim with our (my) words. People see that hypocrisy. What kind of witness is that?
Just some thoughts to think about. I really want to strive to be a true follower, and not one in word only. I encourage you (whomever is reading this) to do the same!

0 comments:
Post a Comment